About the book:
To commemorate 125 years of Ole Miss football history, the Nautilus Publishing Company has published Stories from 125 Years of Ole Miss Football, a collection of stories and photographs that don't fit the typical "sports book" model.
Editor and Publisher, Neil White, said, "We didn't want to re-package the same stories that have been repeated through the years. Every interview began with a simple question: Tell us a story that most people don't know about."
White and his team of contributors (including Rick Cleveland, Billy Watkins, Robert Khayat, Jeff Roberson) interviewed more than 100 former players and coaches, as well as children, grandchildren, and widows of former Rebels.
Some of the stories uncovered by the contributors include:
- The undefeated season no one knows about
- The 1907 coach who got players drunk at halftime
- The 1920s football start who was expelled for dancing
- A nude walk through the Ole Miss campus that ended freshman hazing
- The Ole Miss defense that was better than 1959's squad
- The former Ole Miss player who was banned from the NFL... for life!
- The significance of 1943 - when no team was fielded
In addition to exposing hundreds of new Ole Miss football tales, the book includes an appendix with Top Ten Lists, including:
- The ten best and worst Ole Miss teams
- The ten greatest victories of all time
- The ten most disappointing defeats
- The all-time Ole Miss offense and defense
- The all-time Ole Miss special teams
- The ten greatest Ole Miss college players
- The ten greatest Ole Miss NFL players
- The top salaries of each head coach